Proud Moments: Go Patricia; Go Knights!
Patricia exhibiting an “I CAN” attitude
Photo courteousy O’Hara McKenna
My little sister, Patricia Moody, is quite amazing! She has destroyed stereotypes and other’s preset limitations with graceful ease just by being herself!
I thought it was amazing when she graduated High School! Watching her walk across that stage felt like it might be the culminating moment in her life! But not for “Puh” she was just getting started! She went on to teach sign language at various places around Vero Beach and at her high school, too. Patricia has always talked and written about being independent. Since high school she has been very busy teaching sign language classes and, up until now, she has lived at home with my Mom and Dad.
This August Patricia will really, truly, be independent! She is 1 of 6 students to be accepted to attend the University of Central Florida in Orlando! She will live in the dorm, attend 2 classes, have a job on campus and participate fully in campus life!
Sounds like a pretty normal life of a successful young person right? My little sister, Patricia, happens to have Down syndrome!
How’s that for destroying stereotypes!
~very, very proud big sister!
Dr. O’Hara McKenna
Click here to learn about Patricia Moody’s PATH to achieving her dream
- How to Set Clear Goals and Plan Naturally
- Ethan’s Alternative Tomorrow: A PATH Toward Social Inclusion
- Whether it’s Your First IEP or You’re a Pro: 10 things to Cover at the Meeting
- Tip to Grow Your Loved Ones’ Independence
- Independence and Self-Advocacy
- How to Find Your Special Child’s Spark?
- College Bound: A Journey to Independence
- Important Life Skills to Teach Your Child with Special Needs
- Preparing for the First Apartment: Beyond Home Furnishings and Domestic Supplies
- When Is the Right Time to Transition from Your Home to a Group Home?
- Apps for Supporting Independence: The Transition to Adulthood
- Instacart App: Powerful Tool for Independence
- What Are Pre-Employment Skills and How Does My Child Get Them?
- Self-Awareness: A Building Block of Independence
- Teaching Financial Independence The Building Blocks of Financial Literacy
- The Power of the Piggy Bank | Important Life Skills Teaching About Money Management
- Independence + Security Balance: Balancing Independence with Security Guardianship and Its Alternatives
- Letting Go – Allowing Your Child to Be Independent – Accepting That They May Fail:
- Fitness as a Gateway to Independence
- The Scoop on Poop A Plan for Independence
- Ask Angie ASL – Independence
This post originally appeared on our July/August 2015 Magazine