Instacart App: Powerful Tool for Independence
“We don’t just think of Instacart as an incredibly convenient product delivery app, but as a powerful tool for independence.”
Instacart is a service in which a customer selects and orders groceries through a web-based app, tablet, or smartphone in order to have those selected groceries delivered to their home. When an order has been placed, an Instacart “Personal Shopper” collects the selected items and delivers them to the customer’s home or preferred address within a selected timeframe. For a teenager or young adult who is nonverbal or unable get to a grocery store on their own, ordering groceries through Instacart is empowering!
Meet independently-minded Megan Fry, a teen guest blogger for BridgingApps who is nonverbal, uses a wheelchair, and is preparing to go to college. She says, “Instacart has given me a sense of self-esteem that I can do this.” For parents of teenage children with special needs who are preparing for transition to adulthood, using a service such as Instacart, is a practical tool and great life skill.
It is important for users to know that Instacart is limited to certain U.S. cities so potential users must first enter their delivery zip code to determine which stores may deliver to them through the app. The good news is that if Instacart is available in your desired zip code, they will deliver your groceries from the local store in as little as 1 hour. Some of the common local stores include, Whole Foods Market, Costco, Target and Petco. The even better news, users’ first delivery is free! After the first delivery, prices start at just $5.99.
The cost is incomparable to the benefits that Instacart provides. The app allows you to order groceries with only a few taps and the Personal Shoppers are great at picking the best produce, meat and seafood.
The convenience continues:
- Order fresh produce picked just the way you like it
- Order from multiple stores at once
- Schedule delivery for 1 hour from now or later in the week
- Keep a shopping list of favorite items and share it with family & friends
- Reorder previous items with one tap
- Save hours every week avoiding lines and parking and the supermarket
Price: The Instacart delivery fee depends on the size of the order and delivery time chosen. The specific delivery fee for your order will be displayed when you choose a delivery time during checkout before you place your order. With Instacart Express, you get free delivery on 1 hour, 2 hour & scheduled grocery deliveries over $35. All orders must be $10 or more.
Though there is a cost for the delivery services of Instacart, BridgingApps values this app as a supportive resource that makes life easier for individuals, caregivers, and families that may have less flexibility. With the features and ability to help loved ones from a distance, a way to provide respite, and a creative way to foster or encourage independence, Instacart is a wonderful resource for the BridgingApps community.
Consider purchasing an Instacart gift card for Spring Break or upcoming graduation and give the gift of independence!
Full BridgingApps Review: https://search.bridgingapps.org/apps/5b384f07-fe3b-90b4-233d-a358350e648e
- Shopping Tips
- Smart Food Shopping
- Supermarket $avings
- Shopping Without Dropping: Running Errands Successfully
- Did You Know There Are 2 Carts Available That Transform Shopping Trips for Special Needs Families?
You May Also Like
- Most Popular Gluten Free/Casein Free Products and Where to Find Them
- Break It Down Tech Tools for Task Analysis
- Life-Changing Apps for People with Disabilities
- Apps for Supporting Independence: The Transition to Adulthood
- Using Tech to Help Develop Self-Advocacy Skills