Lifting Others: Kate Swenson
Meet Kate Swenson who started the blog, Finding Cooper’s Voice, after her son, Cooper, was diagnosed with non-verbal autism. As she began to share her life, she discovered that she was not alone; there were other parents out there who had their perfect vision of life upended by an unexpected diagnosis.
Tell us about your child with special needs.
My son, Cooper, is 9 years old and he loves trains, elephants, and old magazines. He also has severe autism. Until about a year or so ago he was nonverbal, but not anymore!
What are some adjustments you have made to make vacationing with your family successful?
Cooper is unable to safely fly and traveling long distances in the car is also hard for him. He is unable to eat in a restaurant so vacationing for us consists of renting houses and cabins and going on picnics. We try to focus on outdoor activities we can all enjoy like boating.
What are some things you do regularly to take care of yourself?
Self-care hasn’t always been a priority for me. Even today, as a mom of three, it’s hard. But I try to walk daily by myself. I enjoy the exercise, being outside and thinking! That hour a day restores my sanity.
What made you realize you needed to get away on your own, too?
How did this lead to taking care of other moms?
The Internet can be an amazing place. It can also be scary. Our goal is to carve out a save space to connect moms of special needs children and bring them together in person to help build friendships even more.
How can we connect with you?
You can follow me on Facebook and Instagram at Finding Cooper’s Voice. Also, join my supporter group, Coop’s Troops, by clicking the blue support now button on my Facebook page.
Kate’s links: https://www.findingcoopersvoice.com
You May Also Like
- Lifting Others: Taking Care of Ourselves
- Where’s the RESPITE?
- The Sandwich Generation: How To Handle it All, and Then Some!
- Kind in the Chaos: Caring for Yourself When You Are a Full-Time Caregiver
- Being United, Pampering, and Taking Care of Ourselves
- 11 Reasons Why You Should Try Mindfulness Meditation and How to Do It!
- Coping with the Life You Never Imagined
- Where’s the RESPITE?
- Developing Your Own Network
- Date Night Ideas for Exhausted Parents
- Balancing the Care of Siblings with Different Needs
- Journal Writing Can Help You to Reconnect with Yourself
- Multitasking the Right Way: How You Can Make the Most of Your Time
This post originally appeared on our July/August 2020 Magazine