11 Reasons Why You Should Try Mindfulness Meditation and How to Do It!
Stress can interfere in all areas of our lives, from caring for our children or relating to a spouse and even preventing productivity at work. There is a tool called mindfulness meditation that may be the answer you are looking for right now to reduce your stress overload.
Mindfulness meditation is a non-sectarian form of meditation that developed from an old Buddhist practice known as Vipassana or Insight Meditation. It develops the skill of paying attention to one’s inner and outer experiences by utilizing acceptance, compassion, and patience.
We all have the mindfulness quality already inside us; it just needs to be cultivated so that we can become aware of the inherent powers we harness.
The intentional practice of mindfulness allows us to pay deliberate attention to the moment, reducing stress and becoming more present in our own lives.
Daily practice of mindfulness meditation promotes inner calmness, stability, and non-reactivity of the mind.
What Are the Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation?
Here are 11 of the top benefits of mindfulness meditation:
- Lowers stress and decreases the levels of cortisol – the stress hormone
- Increases axonal density and protective myelin tissue in the brain
- Helps the brain process emotions and pain – allowing you to feel focused and relaxed
- Increases cortical thickness in the hippo campus to improve memory and learning
- Reduces the severity and duration of colds and acute respiratory infections
- Lowers depression risks and often works as well or better than antidepressants
- Helps you sleep better and increases energy
- Supports weight loss and smoking cessation goals
- Enables you to feel more compassion towards others
- Increases body and self-awareness
- Improves interpersonal relationships
(Continued on page 2)