Spilling the Beans about Your Child & Caffeine
After consuming two 24-ounce Monster energy drinks, a 14-year-old Maryland girl went into cardiac arrest while at home. Six days later, the teenager died at the hospital and the official cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity. These two large energy drinks contain the equivalent amount of caffeine found in fourteen 12-ounce cans of Coca Cola.
The FDA regulates the amount of caffeine found in soda, but fails to regulate caffeine levels in energy drinks because they are not classified as “food products”, but rather as “dietary supplements.” Therefore, teenagers are unaware of how much caffeine they are consuming when it comes to these energy drinks because there are no regulations on disclosing that information on the labels.
(Continued on page 2)
Subscribe to our free email newsletter now to access our free magazine!