Meet: Maggie Scherder
1. Tell us your biggest struggle at the beginning of attending college. Making my own decisions and being away from my family.
My first day I cried and I called my dad on advice on how to make me feel better. The decisions I have had to make is making healthy food choices and filling up my free time on my schedule.
2. We’re curious how you do your college work. If you were given a paper to write or a presentation/ PowerPoint, What is your process?
First I would write down notes on my notebook in class. Then I would review my notes to make sure I am doing my assignment is done correctly. I attend tutoring very often to get advice and support on my assignments. I have also facilitated a study group with my classmates.
3. How has the college helped you?
Succeed has helped me connect with my friends to feel connected on campus. The program puts on social events for me to attend that are fun. Succeed has also helped me with tutoring and ensuring I do well in all of my classes. They answer any questions that I have and make me feel confident.
4. Please share with us what you’re most proud of about yourself regarding your college experience so far.
I am most proud of making lifelong friends on campus. I am also proud of living on my own and being surrounded with fun and positive people. I am most proud of finding a job on campus where I get paid to be a swim instructor at the Rec Center.
Meet Three Special College Students
- College Programs: Closer Than You Think
- College Bound: A Journey to Independence
- Person-Ventured Entrepreneurship: What Do You Know About Entrepreneurship
- Where to Go if Your Child Needs a Job or Help with Post High School Education
- What Are Pre-Employment Skills and How Does My Child Get Them?
- How Your Child’s Current Interests Can Help Them After High School Ends
- Parenting Your Young Adult Through Their First Employment Experiences
- Transition & Supported Employment Working for You
- What Employers Can Do for Employees Whose Children Have Special Needs
- Group Homes: Can My Experience Help You?
- When Is the Right Time to Transition from Your Home to a Group Home?
- Did You Know About the Independent Living Center?
- Preparing for the First Apartment
This post originally appeared on our September/October 2022 Magazine