Meet: Thomas Wilson
College: Syracuse University/InclusiveU
It was hard learning the new assignments and learning how to talk to the professors. Walking around campus and checking emails was hard at first. Also getting to class on time. I know things have improved because I have gotten better at getting around campus and enjoy giving others a tour of the campus. If I’m unsure about something, I ask around to get the answer.
2. We’re curious how you do your college work. If you were given a paper to write or a presentation/ PowerPoint, What is your process?
First, my mentor and I would brainstorm ideas on how to complete the assignment. Then, after coming up with ideas, we would talk to the professor and see if our ideas are okay for the assignment. After brainstorming, my mentor would help me organize my thoughts, and we would come up with an outline to help me complete the assignment. put final touches on the assignment, proofread it, and then submit the assignment on BlackBoard.
3. How has the college helped you?
College has greatly helped me. I can live independently, take care of myself, and have made lots of friends. I have more confidence because of the freedom college has provided me. I have become very comfortable in my own skin and am more comfortable asking strangers for help if I need assistance. I do not care what others think about me, I am confident in myself and my own answers.
4. Please share with us what you’re most proud of about yourself regarding your college experience so far.
I’m proud of doing camerawork and photography, going “in the field” and doing assignments. I am most proud of being a news anchor at Citrus TV and hosting a webisode of “Unpeeled”.
Meet Three Special College Students
- College Programs: Closer Than You Think
- College Bound: A Journey to Independence
- Person-Ventured Entrepreneurship: What Do You Know About Entrepreneurship
- Where to Go if Your Child Needs a Job or Help with Post High School Education
- What Are Pre-Employment Skills and How Does My Child Get Them?
- How Your Child’s Current Interests Can Help Them After High School Ends
- Parenting Your Young Adult Through Their First Employment Experiences
- Transition & Supported Employment Working for You
- What Employers Can Do for Employees Whose Children Have Special Needs
- Group Homes: Can My Experience Help You?
- When Is the Right Time to Transition from Your Home to a Group Home?
- Did You Know About the Independent Living Center?
- Preparing for the First Apartment
This post originally appeared on our September/October 2022 Magazine