How to get free from unrealistic expectations of motherhood
In this episode, I’m joined by Jamie Sumner. Jamie is an author, blogger, and special needs mom. We’re talking with her today about her new book, “UNBOUND” wherein she shares her journey to motherhood and how she and her husband fought infertility for two years before seeking medical intervention. She has a son diagnosed with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome and cerebral palsy as well as twins: one boy and one girl.
[Click to Listen to Podcast]
I love Jamie’s quote:
In looking back over our life
which might appear to be a tangled web of chaos,
we might actually see that it is a safety net provided by God
“UNBOUND” honestly discusses the expectations vs. reality of being a mother, but particularly focuses on the freedom you can finally feel when you stop trying to fit into everybody else’s version of motherhood. Jamie takes us all on her journey of faith, hope, determination, and courage. Her personal stories, interwoven with women from the Bible, allows us to understand how our own “paths” and struggles are similar to theirs. She does so with quick wit, clever insight and a true sense of understanding that, at the heart of it all, God is in control. One theme of her book is to “Stay in the Present and appreciate the moments of your life”.
(Click on the image to read Jamie’s post)
In this episode Jamie shares the following:
- Her expectations before becoming a mother.
- When the reality did not meet those expectations…
- How to stay hopeful as you parent your child with special needs.
- The biggest lesson learned in hindsight that she would like to tell new parents as they navigate their role as an advocate for their child.
- Unexpected blessings in your parenting journey.
- Her biggest takeaway for parents of special needs children from her book.
This post contains affiliate links, which means Parenting Special Needs LLC, receives a commission if you purchase using this link. We appreciate your support.
Help us to Help You!
If you found this podcast helpful, let us know and leave a comment. Please share it and spread the word.