Playground Workout for Mom
Trying to fit in a workout while being a mom, and taking care of the kids, can be quite the challenge. With the warm weather here to stay, why not get out and enjoy a workout (and the sunshine) by taking the kids to the playground for some summer fun!? Not only will they be playing and burning off their energy, but you can also get a total body-toning workout at your local playground with these 5 exercises — no gym membership required.
Monkey Bar Holds – targets core, back and biceps
- Reach up with palms facing you and hold on to the monkey bars.
- Pull body up so that your chin is up over the bar and your feet are off of the ground.
- Try and hold this position for 20 seconds and repeat 3 times
Slide Lunges – targets butt and thighs
- Stand facing away from the slide, rest one foot on the bottom of the slide and place your hands on your hips
- Bend your knee until parallel to the ground and return to starting position
** Make sure to not let your knee move farther forward than your toes
Do 15 reps and repeat with the other leg
Jungle-Gym Standing Push Ups – targets chest, shoulders and triceps
- Pick a spot on the jungle gym (preferably a ladder if possible) and stand an arm-length away
- Place your hands on a bar that is not higher that your chest
- Keep your body straight and bend your elbows until they are at a 90 degree angle
- Do 12-15 reps and repeat
Swing Knee Lifts – targets abs, back, and legs
- Stand on a swing (a flexible seat will be more challenging) while holding onto the chains and balancing on left foot.
- Stand tall as you slowly raise your right knee to hip height, pulling your abs in as you lift. Hold for a second.
- Slowly lower your leg and repeat, keeping the swing and the rest of your body as still as possible.
Do 10-15 times; repeat with opposite leg.
Monkey Bar Knee Tucks – targets abs
- Go to the monkey bars and grab it with an underhand grip
- Hang from it and tuck your knees up into your body, hold for 2 seconds and then slowly lowering the legs
** Make sure you move with control so you don’t swing Repeat 10-15 times
John Rowley Certified Personal Trainer, Best Selling Author and ISSA Director of Wellness, is a widely recognized fitness health and wellness expert who helps others transform their bodies and help them find their passion, purpose and drive for success. Rowley’s expertise goes beyond staying physically fit. He changes lives and offers many self-help tips in every aspect of life. Visit: http://ux3nutrition.com/
You May Also Like
- Where’s the RESPITE?
- 11 Reasons Why You Should Try Mindfulness Meditation and How to Do It!
- Staying Calm While in the Chaos of the Storm
- What Is Emotional Intelligence and Why Is It so Important?
- Tech for Developing Mental Strength for Life’s UPS and Downs
- The Science of Happiness
- Journal Writing Can Help You to Reconnect with Yourself
- Art Therapy: How It Works, the Benefits, How to Start
- If I Were a Parent Today… Vocal Toning for the Modern Parent
- My Relaxing Escape
- Anxiety in Children and Adolescents
- 5 Steps to Help Your Child Manage Emotions
- Stress-Busting Strategies to Get You to Super Health
- Holiday Stress: 5 Ways to Reduce It
- Mental Health Is Not Something to Take for Granted: How to Manage Depression and Stress During the Holidays
This post originally appeared on our July/August 2013 Magazine