Staying Calm While in the Chaos of the Storm
[Click to Listen to Podcast]
Staying calm while in the chaos of the storm
In today’s Purposeful Conversation, we’re talking with Dr. Paula Petry, about “staying calm while in the chaos of the storm” of COVID-19.
Dr. Paula Petry is an author, speaker, presenter, and energy medicine practitioner. She specializes in stress and burnout, grief and loss, mindfulness, and personal empowerment.
These are unprecedented times of uncertainty –for our health, financial security, and our children’s education and well-being are under threat. However, if we remember that our children are our great teachers, we will recognize that, in some ways, we have been here before.
You see, we experience stress when we perceive that the threat/obstacles are greater than our resources (financial, emotional, physical etc…). It is important to keep our stress levels down as it is a direct link to our immune system.
You already have a map
In a way, we, as parents of children with a disability, have a leg-up on the general population. We have already had to face great fear and work within the unknown when we received the diagnoses of our child’s special needs. So, we already have a map forward that we can draw upon – it is stored in our unconscious. This is what it looked like for many of us.
What helped lower the stress after the diagnosis of your child’s special needs?
Information, Resources, and Community Networks.
Find meaning — we are meaning seekers.
It takes time to know why things have happened. For me, with both my child’s birth and death, it was heart opening and learning to respect and appreciate differences. I got grounded in the reality of life.
The power of the word
What we say to ourselves and others as well as what we are hearing creates our reality.
What we don’t realize is that our emotions are a response to our thoughts.
Watch your self talk
We talk to ourselves more than anyone else, so stop negative and future focused worry thoughts. Decide what you do and do not have control over .. and stick with the present moment.
Talk to yourself like you would talk to your friend.
Words to avoid ….
- Stuck at home
- Sick of this
- Tired of this …
- At war with the virus
- Virus is the enemy
- XXX is killing me vs. it makes me really sad
- This will be the death of me
- Thoughts create your reality
Takeaways from this podcast:
- So you have an internal Map – activate it.
- Words create your reality .. what you think say and hear …. will either increase or decrease your anxiety level.
- Insight Timer – app for calming
- How can we stay calm and shift our thinking during this pandemic?
- How can we shift our perspective to help cope better?
- How can we help our child stay calm? And how can we activate it?
- What about the inner voice in our heads?
- My offer: Through my website – register for my newsletter and I will send you a beautiful Tree Meditation that you can listen to with your children.
Also – for anyone who feels that they need an emotional reset – you can email me for a NO COST phone consult of a 30 minute guided meditation session and recommendations for the best calming strategies for you (We need to tell our stories .. and not everyone has a good listener in their life who can offer strategies). Here is how to contact: Dr. Paula Petry
Links or related articles to the podcast:
You May Also Like
- 6 Ways Help Special Needs Families During The Pandemic
- New Insights learned from being in lockdown
- You Don’t Need to Leave Your House to Have an Adventure
- Coronavi…yesss!? Do You Find You’re Saying “Yes” More Often?
- Their Tears and Fears. Masks and More: How to Really Help Your Child Thrive in the New Normal
- How to Protect Your Mental Health During Coronavirus
- Staying at Home Tech Tips to Help Throughout Your Day
- Practical Tools for Learning Anywhere
- Oxygen: Caring for Ourselves to Care for Our Children
- How to Make the Holidays Memorable During COVID
- How to Make Halloween Fun During Covid-19
- How to Plan a Safe and Fun Summer With COVID-19 Guidelines
- Got Pumpkin Plates? How to Teach Social Distancing Using Pumpkin Plates
- Teach Your Kids to Social Distance With the Help of a Lobster