The Water Pots
I’ve been collecting parables and other poignant stories for use in my speeches, seminars, and presentations for clients, advocacy colleagues and youth. I thought you might enjoy this one I recently found. Please feel free to share it with your family, friends and associates.
THE WATER POTS
A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.
At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his house. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.
After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. “I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house”.
The bearer said to the pot, “Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot’s side? That’s because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.”
Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it’s the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. We should accept each person for what he or she is and look for the good in every one.
To all of my “‘crackpot friends,” have a great day and remember to smell the flowers. And to find new ways to nurture your own garden!
You May Also Like
- 17 Most Popular Inspirational Quotes
- 32 Motivational Quotes to Inspire Special Needs Parents
- The Puppy – A Story from Chicken Soup for the Soul
- A Letter to the Sibling of a Child with Special Needs
- The Special Mother
- Dad’s Emotional Video Defending Down Syndrome
- Daddy Loves You: A Reminder for Daddies of Children with Special Needs
- A Story of Inspiration: How Vernon Changed My Perception of Disability
- Autistic Teen Finds Inner Voice
- Ever Wonder What It’s Like to Experience Sensory Overload?
- Service Dogs to the Rescue: Helping to Make Dreams Come True
- Handling Your Child’s Diagnosis: Six Things Parents Should Do For Themselves
- 8 Ways to be a Great Advocate For Your Family Member With Special Needs
- I Do Not like Being a Special Needs Parent and That’s OK
- Coping with the Life You Never Imagined
- Developing Your Own Network
- The Gift of a Limb