“Instruction Manual” for Your Child with Special Needs
Do you have a detailed “instruction manual” for your child with special needs? Or, do you have an “everything binder” with information about all-things-your-child? Today, we’re talking with Liz Petruzzi, and she’s going to share with us about a manual she’s created for her son, Joey.
As Liz puts it: “If you were ZAPPED off the Planet tomorrow, who is going to trim your child toenails……or buy their birthday balloons?”
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Lessons learned and the importance of having key documents all in one place.
- The first baby steps you need to take to get you started creating your child’s instruction manual.
- Guardianships and how it may make our children more vulnerable
A bonus guide for listening:
WHAT If you were ZAPPED off the Planet tomorrow???!!!
Check out these podcast highlights:
- Gather all the important information. [04:13]
- This quote by Temple Grandin conveys our mindset. [06:01]
- Liz and her husband decided not to “do a guardianship” for their son, hear why and what they did instead. [10:03]
- How guardianships could fall apart? [10:55]
- The forms are written in language that Joey can understand [09:30]
- Assembling a “Dream Team” to help [14:11]
Check out Joey’s guest appearance (watch the video, he makes it worthwhile.)
Links mentioned in this episode:
From Liz – To receive Temple Grandin quote and Designation for Durable Power of Attorney for Medical Treatment, Residental Placement and Program Decisions, readers must visit my website and subscribe for free with their email – easily found to the right of the screen. Once they subscribe, they will receive a welcome letter that has a link to the printable bonus material on the bottom of the letter.
- >>Here is the link to Liz Petruzzi’s blog
- >> Building a Resource Manual for Future Caregivers
- >> Common Mistakes Parents Make with Their Special Needs Trusts
Help us to Help You!
Was this podcast helpful or useful?
Based on a score from 1-10, how would you rate this podcast?
What would make it more useful? Click here to let us know >