“Instruction Manual” for Your Child with Special Needs
Do you have a detailed “instruction manual” for your child with special needs? Or, do you have an “everything binder” with information about all-things-your-child? Today, we’re talking with Liz Petruzzi, and she’s going to share with us about a manual she’s created for her son, Joey.
As Liz puts it: “If you were ZAPPED off the Planet tomorrow, who is going to trim your child toenails……or buy their birthday balloons?”
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Lessons learned and the importance of having key documents all in one place.
- The first baby steps you need to take to get you started creating your child’s instruction manual.
- Guardianships and how it may make our children more vulnerable
A bonus guide for listening:
WHAT If you were ZAPPED off the Planet tomorrow???!!!
Check out these podcast highlights:
- Gather all the important information. [04:13]
- This quote by Temple Grandin conveys our mindset. [06:01]
- Liz and her husband decided not to “do a guardianship” for their son, hear why and what they did instead. [10:03]
- How guardianships could fall apart? [10:55]
- The forms are written in language that Joey can understand [09:30]
- Assembling a “Dream Team” to help [14:11]
Check out Joey’s guest appearance (watch the video, he makes it worthwhile.)
Links mentioned in this episode:
From Liz – To receive Temple Grandin quote and Designation for Durable Power of Attorney for Medical Treatment, Residental Placement and Program Decisions, readers must visit my website and subscribe for free with their email – easily found to the right of the screen. Once they subscribe, they will receive a welcome letter that has a link to the printable bonus material on the bottom of the letter.
- >>Here is the link to Liz Petruzzi’s blog
- >> Building a Resource Manual for Future Caregivers
- >> Common Mistakes Parents Make with Their Special Needs Trusts
Help us to Help You!
Was this podcast helpful or useful?
Based on a score from 1-10, how would you rate this podcast?
What would make it more useful? Click here to let us know >
You May Also Like
- Drowning in Paperwork? Here’s What Helps Us
- The Politics of Special Education: The Information You Need Right Now
- Special Needs (or Supplemental Needs) Trusts 101
- Special Needs Planning: What is a Special Needs Trust?
- Social Security Benefits: Understanding How To Work?
- Does Your Child Qualify for Supplemental Security Income? Dispelling Misconceptions
- 9 Things You Need to Know to Maximize Your Child’s Benefits
- Able Accounts and Taxes: What Special Needs Families Need to Know
- Able Account or Special Needs Trust: How to Decide?
- ABLE Accounts: 10 Things You Should Know
- Handling Your Child’s Diagnosis: Six Things Parents Should Do For Themselves
- A Special Need Planning Timeline: 9 Steps to a Sound Family Plan
- Plan Early for Your Child’s Long-Term Security
- How to Select a Special Needs Attorney
- What the Federal Tax Overhaul Means for Families with Special Needs