Ask the Nurse: Searching for a Suitable Summer Camp
Question: My child has special needs and I would like for him to go to camp this summer. Where do I begin to look for a suitable place?
Answer: There are camps designed specifically for children with special needs. These camps take children with issues ranging from developmental differences, like autism or intellectual disabilities, to medical issues like diabetes and cancer and to those who are technology dependent like children on ventilators. These types of camps may be a good option for your child.
These camps have environments which are geared towards a child with special needs. They also offer the opportunity to socialize with peers who have the same disability. In addition, it is an opportunity for networking with other families and the fact that all activities will be appropriate for the type of disability for your child is always a plus.
You can search the web for “special needs camps” or “camps for children with special needs”
Listed here are some examples of camps for special needs children.
- ADHD: Search ADHD Summer Camp Directory
- Cancer: Search Camps for Children With Cancer
- Celiac Disease: Search Gluten-Free Summer Camps
- Congenital Heart Disease: Search Camp Taylor
- Diabetes: Search Camps for Children With Diabetes
- Medical/Serious Illness: Search Hole in the Wall Camps
- Tourette Syndrome: Search Tourette Syndrome Camp Association
Have a question for “Ask the Nurse”. Send an email to [email protected]. Please make sure to put “Ask the Nurse” in email subject line.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of the Ask the Nurse column (“Column”) such as text, medical information, graphics, images and any and all other material contained in the column (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your (or your child’s) physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY IN SEEKING CARE BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU (OR YOUR CHILD) HAVE READ IN ANY MEDICAL LITERATURE!
- Think Camp Yes, You Can Send Your Child to Camp
- Summer Lessons Near and Far
- How to Plan a Safe and Fun Summer (Part 2)
- Summer Preparation: 8 Steps
- Searching for the Right Summer Camp!
- Seven Questions Parents Should Ask When Choosing a Camp
- Summer Camp Organization
- Relationship Rescue: Sleep Away Camp: Is your child ready?
- Summer Camps
- 5 Special Camps
- Cooking with Kids: Campfire Banana Boats at Home
- Top 10 Fun and Accessible Activities to Do This Summer
- Summer Travel & Outdoor Fun with Apps
This post originally appeared on our March/April 2013 Magazine