To the Holidays and Beyond!
A movie that has become a childhood classic, and favorite for kids and parents alike, Toy Story, leads to a lesson in staying-power. The main character, Andy, etched his name on the boot of Woody – his go-to toy that accompanied him everywhere and became a part of whatever play Andy imagined. Sometimes toys are simple and forgotten quickly, while others inspire a child’s creative forces to drum up years of unique, inventive play.
As parents, we want to choose the WOW-toys that will be the big hit present, but we also want to make choices that have the staying power to encourage play and development long after the wrapping paper is gone.
Here are some questions parents may want to ask when they feel “wooed” by the WOW factor of the many toys touted over the holiday season:
- Can this product inspire imagination and creativity, and prompt kids to create stories that constantly evolve?
- Does this toy have more than a single action response and is the play somewhat unpredictable?
- Will this product continually surprise kids or help them to surprise themselves?
- Does this toy help make kids feel good, free, or accomplished?
- Does this play product span age ranges—can it grow with kids?
- Can this product be played with alone and with others?
- Is this toy tied to a fad that might fizz out?
Here are a few toys that provide the initial WOW factor, but also, pack a punch of staying-power with unique ways to use and enjoy them. Try some of these and let your creativity out to think up other ways to play!
Pop-Arty by B.Toys
Pop-Arty by B.Toys is a play product that promotes coordination and creativity at the same time. Young artisans can create a necklace one day and change the beads into a bracelet using new colors and combinations the next. Imaginative kids can use beads to decorate their dresser or as a prop for pretend play. These pop together beads can morph into everything from tight ropes to magical snakes. Parents will like the fact that these beads teach sorting and matching skills which are needed for math readiness along with counting, grouping and patterning.
Pacific Play Tent Me-Too Playtent
Pacific Play Tent Me-Too Playtent is a nylon pop-up indoor play tent that can take kids on countless adventures. Add a dash of imagination and this secure little structure travels to the middle of the wilderness or transforms into a rocket ship or animal cage with equal ease. Perfect little paradise for kids to escape to for quiet time, reading or just relaxation while slightly shielded from the outer world.