Relationship Rescue: Summer’s Here: Make Lasting Memories
Question: Summer’s here… now what do we do as a family to create memories and have fun?
Advice: The question asked by many parents as the school year is winding down is “now what do we do as a family in order to create memories and have fun?” It’s not easy with a typical child, let alone a special needs one. My personal experience has been that having a special needs child can be easier when it comes to entertainment and creating fun memories. They are high maintenance in the long term, but, low maintenance when it comes to having fun. My children get excited just by taking a ride in our mini van, putting on a movie and bringing a snack. We go bowling at our local bowling alley, take walks at the beach and collect seashells. We also do movie marathons at home, go to see Cirque De Soliel (one of our favorites!), or go for a bike ride (if you are able). We try to frequent the beach right up until my children go to camp. Once at camp, they have their own memories that they can create. We can be our own worst enemy when we limit our thoughts because we may feel it’s too much work. The truth is we just have to get out there and take the risk. If we are excited, our children will be excited.
Have a wonderful Summer!
Robin Newman LCSW PC
Have a question for “Relationship Rescue”. Send an email to [email protected]. Please make sure to put “Ask Robin” in email subject line.
You May Also Like
- 3 Summer Trip Savers that make travel better for all!
- Traveling Different: How to Enjoy This Years Summer Vacation
- You Don’t Need to Leave Your House to Have an Adventure
- Think Camp Yes, You Can Send Your Child to Camp
- Encourage Traveling for All Without Limits
- How to Plan a Safe and Fun Summer With COVID-19 Guidelines
- 6 Ways Help Special Needs Families During The Pandemic
- Traveling Tips for Parents of Children with Special Needs
- Traveling with Special Dietary Need
- Summer Internet Surfing Keeping Kids Safe Online
- Apps for Adventure
- Tech Travel Tips for Summer
- Explore and Discover Our World With the Help of These Apps
This post originally appeared on our May/June 2013 Magazine