Say Yes to Vacations that Include your Child with Special Needs
[Click to Listen to Podcast]
Would you say taking a vacation with your child with special needs is relaxing? Or anything but??
Vacation means to rest or break from work, duties, and fun. You know R&R, Which can stand for rest, relaxation, and recreation. But taking a vacation with your special needs child can be anything but relaxing, and it can be highly stressful, not fun, and not worth going on.
Well, today on Parenting Special Needs Live, Dawn Barclay is joining us.
Dawn is an award-winning author and has spent her career working and writing for different aspects of the travel industry. Dawn is here to talk with us about vacation strategies from her new book Traveling different: vacation strategies for parents of the anxious, the inflexible, and the neurodiverse.
Her book is the culmination (outcome) of over 100 interviews with professionals from mental health, certified Autism travel professionals, parents, allies, and advocates who have lent their expertise to open up the world for those who feel angst at the thought of taking a vacation. Dawn shared a few strategies and how to introduce the concept of travel before outlaying money for an expensive trip.
More Travel Tips
- 10 Things Every Parent of a Special Needs Child Should Have Before Traveling
- Traveling with Special Dietary Need
- Traveling Tips for Parents of Children with Special Needs
- Kids with Special Needs and Family Travel
- Ways to Save Space When Packing for a Trip
- Explore and Discover Our World With the Help of These Apps
- More than a Diaper Bag: Practical Tips for Car Travel with a Special Needs Baby
- 7 Perks to Traveling with Your Special Needs Child
- Finding GFCF Baked Goods While You are Traveling
- Travel Tips for Parents of Children with Sensory Integration Issues
- Avoiding Meltdowns During Theme Park Vacations
You May Also Like
- Free Access Pass to America the Beautiful
- Top 10 Fun and Accessible Activities to Do This Summer
- Top 5 Children’s Museums That Are Fun for Everyone!
- 7 Special Accessible Vacation Spots
- A to Zoo Accessibility at KidZooU Hamilton Family Children’s Zoo & Faris Family Education Center
- How to Plan a Safe and Fun Summer With COVID-19 Guidelines
- Inclusion: Why It Matters?
- Inclusive Bathrooms: Let’s Start Talking About It