Make-A-Wish Is Not Just for Sick or Dying Kids
We were recently at a doctor appointment with our 3 1/2 year old son when the doctor asked “had we ever thought about applying for a wish to be granted from the Make-a-Wish foundation?” Of course, we said no. We thought that was only for kids with cancer or some other disease that may cause them to pass away before their time. Now, with our son’s condition, he is likely to pass away sooner than most other kids, but he is not sick. He has actually been doing really well. He is just disabled and has a rare genetic disorder.
We talked about a few different options but have not narrowed anything down yet. We are strongly contemplating about asking for a camper. We want our son to have as many experiences as we can fit in and a camper will definitely help us do that!
If you think that your child may qualify, I encourage you to apply. Here is how…
- Go to their web site at http://wish.org
- On the top of the home page is a tab “Local Chapters’. Click on that and a drop box will appear. Type in your zip code and it will direct you to your local chapter.
- On the top of the home page is also a tab for “Refer a Child” This is where you will find an application (or referral inquiry form), ideas for wishes, and who can refer a child.
- Just fill out the one page referral form and hit the submit button at the end.
- That’s it! Now just wait for them to contact you and tell you what the next step is.
The Wish Grantors that came out to our house were so nice! And they both lived in the town next to ours, so they were only about 15 minutes away from our house. They both left their numbers and email addresses so we can contact them at any time if we have any questions. I can’t wait to meet with them again and nail down what wish they will grant our son!
Tracy Felix Tracy blogs about her life and challenges as a mom to a son with special needs. Her blog has provided a forum for parents to get support, share ideas, and learn. You can connect with her at www.xlinked1.blogspot.com and www.facebook.com/xlinked1
Image courtesy Make-A-Wish® America
Subscribe to our free email newsletter now to access our free magazine!