Why Siblings Are Too Important To Ignore
Today, I am speaking with Don Meyer about siblings and why they are too IMPORTANT to ignore. Don Meyer is the director of the Sibling Support Project. He is probably best known for creating Sibshops, lively programs just for young brothers and sisters of kids with special needs.
[Click to Listen to Podcast]
Related: Siblings are Special, Too
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Why it is IMPORTANT to support siblings
- Understanding the wellness aspect of Sibshops
- Opportunities to meet peers online or via bedtime stories
- Give siblings our blessing to have a life of their own
Check out these podcast highlights:
- Sibshops purpose [02:40]
- Multi messages for siblings [07:48]
- Why this is IMPORTANT [08:35]
- 40 years is too long to meet your peers [11:10]
- “Nothing about us without us” [16:12]
- Siblings need to be heard (real-life example) [18:10]
- Most positive thing parents can do [21:25]
- Support the club sandwich generation [22.30]
Video Honoring Special Siblings – National Siblings Day April 10, 2020.
Links mentioned in this episode:
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk”
- “Views from Our Shoes: Growing Up with a Brother or Sister with Special Needs”
- “The Sibling Survival Guide”
Downloads mentioned in this episode:
- Free Download: How to let Young Siblings Know you Care
- Free Download: What Siblings would like Parents and Service Providers to Know
This post contains affiliate links, which means Parenting Special Needs LLC, receives a commission if you purchase using this link. We appreciate your support.
Help us to Help You!
If you found this podcast helpful, please share it and spread the word.