How to Create a Calming Closet: How we did it!
We asked Mr. Alex (as he is often called) to provide us with suggestions and ideas on how to makeover a storage closet into a calming closet for the students at Open Seas Learning Academy in Ft. Pierce, Florida.
Alex provided the suggestions, layout, and equipment list, and Heaven Spencer, Director of Open Seas, and the teachers put the room together themselves. See the “before” picture of the storage closet. The first step was having the staff clean out the room entirely and paint it a “soothing color” (the original color, Calm Dead Flat, chosen by Mr. Alex, wasn’t available). Heaven had to select a different color and finish. Heaven’s choice was Waterfall (as close to Alex’s color as she could match), but she decided that the satin finish would be easier to clean up should it get dirty.
They followed almost all of Alex’s suggestions, and the room was a big hit with the students.
Our Tip: Be open to modifications while creating the room.
One such change to our closet became an advantage to our students.
As the DIY closet room was coming together, it became clear that being open and flexible to slightly modifying the original plans might be needed.
Our Tip: Make Choices that best fit your situation
For example, certain items, like the glow-in-the-dark curtains, were “modified” from the original list because Heaven found a less expensive “star curtain.” Heaven bought the curtains and purchased glow-in-the-dark paint so that the students could assist in painting over the stars on the curtains with the paint color to make them glow, allowing the students to be involved in creating their calming space.
A big THANK YOU to eveyone who participated and assisted in the making of this room!
Calming Space Closet Equipment List
- Paint color: Calm Dead Flat Interior
- Speaker/Camera: Echo
- 120 cm Bubble Tube and Wall Bracket: Sensory Moon 3.9 ft Bubble Tube Floor Lamp w 10 Fish, 20 Color Remote and Tall Water Tower Tank is Best LED Aqua Night Light for Kid’s Bedroom, Autism or Fake Aquarium Column Stand for Living Room Decor
- Visual Projector on top of high shelf on the wall (purchase shelf separately) Astronaut Galaxy Projector Kid Night Light – 360 Degree Adjustable with Timer and Remote Night lamp, Astronaut Nebula Galaxy for Children Adults Baby Lamp for Bedroom, Gaming Room Decor. .
- Rope Lights around the top perimeter of the room
- Bean bag chairs in corners. Lycra bed sleeve over bean bag chairs so they can crawl into.
- Weighted Blanket: next to bean bag chairs (if not, quilt weighted blanket on Amazon)
- Fidget Bucket
- Weighted animals on bean bag chairs (4)
- Tactile table
- 1 pack of d ring anchor plates: Zcketo 4 Pcs Heavy Duty 6000 Lbs Breaking Strength D Rings, Strong Forged Steel Anchors, Surface Mount Tie Down Anchors Rings Hooks with Screw for Cargo Control, Trailers, Boat, Camper, Hanging, Black
- A box of 3” Structural Screws to secure D ring anchor plates into wood stud walls
- Lycra to make a lycra lounger to connect to d ring anchor plates on the wall (Swing not available in time for photographer.)