Housing: The Best Home for the Individual Should Start By
Eric Goll is a family member and family coach who is on a mission to support 100,000 people with a developmental disability and their family to create an Awesome ‘Ordinary’ Life.
In his podcast episode #013, Eric talks with Marg McLean, Executive Director of Community Living St. Marys,. Mary and her team have been helping people with disabilities create their home, and support solutions since the 1980’s when people were leaving institutions.
The first question is “When thinking about creating a home, what should families be considering?”
Marg shares that people are going on the waitlist for housing without thinking, talking, and planning what an ideal home looks like for them.
(Note: This is exactly what my family did at the start of our housing search for my sister. Your family is not alone if this is the situation you are in currently.)
What works well is for families to come up with a vision of what would be a good home in community. Marg provides 4 guiding questions to begin your thinking on creating a vision for home:
- Where do you want to live?
- What kind of building do you want to live in?
- Who do you want to live with?
- What supports will be needed for your home?
Also, in Episode #013 Marg shares the story of 3 individuals that her organization supported to create their home. I also share my previous experience of living with my friend, who has a disability. These stories might just give you some ideas and I recommend you listen to this episode!
- Group Homes: Can My Experience Help You?
- When Is the Right Time to Transition from Your Home to a Group Home?
- Preparing for the First Apartment: Beyond Home Furnishings and Domestic Supplies
- Beresford West: Improved Living Accommodation Work!
You May Also Like
- Independence and Self-Advocacy
- College Bound: A Journey to Independence
- Apps for Supporting Independence: The Transition to Adulthood
- What Are Pre-Employment Skills and How Does My Child Get Them?
- Where to Go if Your Child Needs a Job or Help with Post High School Education
- Parenting Your Young Adult Through Their First Employment Experiences
- What Employers Can Do for Employees Whose Children Have Special Needs
- Shining a Light on Sunflower Bakery Presented by Bus 52
- Person-Ventured Entrepreneurship: What Do You Know About Entrepreneurship
- Maneuvering Your Meal Plan While In College
- Helping Your Child Be An Independent College Student
This post originally appeared on our September/October 2021 Magazine