Kids Books: Margo’s Magnificent Choice
Do you want to help your child be kind and speak to other people with respect? As parents, we all struggle to teach our children to treat others the way you want to be treated. Especially when you have a child with special needs with impulsive behavior, teaching this concept can be even more difficult. Margo’s Magnificent Choice is about a monkey named Margo, who learns all about using kind words to build friendships.
At the beginning of the story, Margo hears her friend, Pete the Parrot say “fatso.” She loves to repeat new words that she hears from her friend, Pete the Parrot. Without knowing what “fatso” means she decides to use it with her friends, the hippos. The hippos hear that word and don’t want to play with her. Margo continues to use unkind words (that are called “tacky words”) without understanding the consequences until she meets a wise old owl who gives her a lesson in being kind to others. Margo learns what tacky words are and why no one is playing with her. She uses her new kind words and begins to build friendships with all of her jungle friends. This book by itself is an excellent book because it teaches children the consequences of using hurtful words and how to change your behavior to get a more positive reaction from your peers.
This book is unique because it comes with a special box called a Tacky Box. The tacky box is used to put unkind words that you don’t want in your vocabulary anymore. My children and I have done this activity several times and put words in there that we don’t want to use anymore. We put “fatso”, “stupid”, “idiot” and “I don’t like you”. I love this carryover activity because it is so tactile and tangible.
For those children who are impulsive and have disorders such as ADHD, Social Communication Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Autism, etc, this activity is functional because the tacky box is so concrete which can be an excellent teaching tool. It is also ideal for a child who is simply delayed with their social skills and has trouble interpreting social cues.
To learn more or purchase Margo’s Magnificent Choice and the tacky box, visit their website here.
- Making friends: A Skill that Needs to be Practiced!
- Teaching Gratitude How to Teach Your Child Thankfulness
- What Is Emotional Intelligence and Why Is It so Important?
- A Complete Guide on Positive Behavior Support for Children With Special Needs
- Reading Help! What Parents Need to Know to Help Their Special Needs Child Read
- Special Education & Parenting Classics
- Making Touch Books for Blind Children
- Kids’ Books Essentials: Supporting Different-Ability Awareness
- Puberty Help! Great Books to Help You with Questions and Challenges
- Top 10 Picture Books Gift Recommendations + A Parent Resource Guide!
- Download: 2022 Summer Book Lists & Recommendations
- Good Tidings and Good Books to You: Audiobooks, Apps & Accessories for the Holidays
- New GFCF Diet Guide Book “The Autism and ADHD Diet”