Is It Meatless Monday Or Taco Tuesday? Chickpea & Butternut Squash Tacos
Chickpea & Butternut Squash Tacos
from the “Taco Tuesday Cookbook”
Yield: 4 servings
These simple, budget-friendly tacos work just as well for Meatless Monday as Taco Tuesday! You’ll will love the combination of crispy chickpeas and creamy butternut squash.
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lime juice (1 to 2 limes), divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 1 (15-ounce/428 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound (454 g) diced butternut squash, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup (230 g) plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, store-bought or homemade, warmed
- 1 cup (70 g) finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, combine the taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the lime juice, olive oil, and water. Add the chickpeas and squash cubes and toss to coat well.
3) Transfer the seasoned chickpeas and squash to the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are slightly crispy and the squash is tender.
4) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lime juice, and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper.