Healthy Hurricane Food Choices
Unfortunately, it is that time of year again where we need to be aware of tropical storms and hurricanes in our area. If we are lucky, our power is not affected and our homes stay untouched. Sometimes, we are not this fortunate.
It is important that we are prepared ahead of time when it comes to protecting our homes and making sure we have food to prepare meals.
Here are some options that can be purchased ahead of time. Some of the items listed can be kept in a cooler or in your pantry.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Canned tuna, chicken and/or salmon; packed in water
- Low fat milk
- Low fat granola bars
- Air popped popcorn, light or fat-free and pretzels
- Whole wheat bread, crackers etc.
- Dry cereal: Choose whole grain cereal with little sugar and at least 3 gms or fiber or more per serving
- Trail mix….watch serving size. Remember you can make your own with nuts, pretzels, dry cereal and your preference of dried fruit
- Peanut butter….watch serving size!
- Jelly, 100% fruit…watch serving size!
- If access to a grill:
- Grilled chicken without skin
- Grilled lean beef and pork
- Grilled fish
- Baked potato….be careful with the toppings
- If you prepared some meals ahead of time, you can use the grill to re-heat the meal.
- If eating out/takeout:
- Pizza: Cheese or vegetable pizza
- Chinese: white rice, vegetables with lean meat. Limit breaded and fried meats.
- Fast-food: grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato, no mayo & baked potato on side (if available); regular hamburger with lettuce and tomato, no mayo & baked potato on side (if available); salads with dressings on side and modify as needed. Ex: bacon, eggs, croutons, almonds, on the side or eliminated
- Water, water, water!!!
- Low calorie beverages: Crystal light, Propel, Diet sodas, Clear American Carbonated water